Cheap Cars For Sale Under 500 – Find New Cars For Sale – 944 Race Car For Sale
Cheap Cars For Sale Under 500
- For Sale is a tour EP by Say Anything. It contains 3 songs from …Is a Real Boy and 2 additional b-sides that were left off the album.
- For Sale is the fifth album by German pop band Fool's Garden, released in 2000.
- purchasable: available for purchase; "purchasable goods"; "many houses in the area are for sale"
- bum: of very poor quality; flimsy
- (of an item for sale) Low in price; worth more than its cost
- relatively low in price or charging low prices; "it would have been cheap at twice the price"; "inexpensive family restaurants"
- (of prices or other charges) Low
- Charging low prices
- brassy: tastelessly showy; "a flash car"; "a flashy ring"; "garish colors"; "a gaudy costume"; "loud sport shirts"; "a meretricious yet stylish book"; "tawdry ornaments"
- A road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal combustion engine and able to carry a small number of people
- A vehicle that runs on rails, esp. a railroad <em>car</em>
- A railroad <em>car</em> of a specified kind
- (car) a wheeled vehicle adapted to the rails of railroad; "three cars had jumped the rails"
- (car) a motor vehicle with four wheels; usually propelled by an internal combustion engine; "he needs a car to get to work"
- (car) the compartment that is suspended from an airship and that carries personnel and the cargo and the power plant
- five hundred: the cardinal number that is the product of one hundred and five
- The .500 S&W Magnum is a fifty caliber semi-rimmed handgun cartridge that was developed by Cor-Bon in partnership with the Smith & Wesson "X-Gun" engineering team for use in their X Frame Model 500 revolvers and introduced in February 2003 at the SHOT trade show.
- five hundred: denoting a quantity consisting of 500 items or units
cheap cars for sale under 500 – Oyen Digital
Schools Out !
Friends Agricultural School
Brookfield – near Moira, 1836 – 1922
Most of us travelling by car on the road to Belfast (A3), about a mile beyond Moira just after passing Trumra Crossroads, will have noticed a cluster of buildings, including a clock tower, some distance away on the right-hand side of the road. Had we been so curious as to drive along the road leading to Broomhedge, we would have noticed that these buildings must have been an institution of some kind which was now abandoned and was falling into decay.
Had we inquired from a local resident, what these buildings had been used for, we would have doubtless been told that they had been a Friends’ School, which had closed down many years ago, but beyond this they could offer no details.
The buildings which now seem deserted and dilapidated, had in earlier days presented a very different aspect as then they were bursting with young life and activity.
We naturally ask the obvious question, "Why did the school close?". It is not easy to answer this simple question in a few words. We would parry this question by asking another, "Why was the school there in the first instance?".
The purpose of this article is to elucidate why it was commenced, and to give a brief summary of its history. In order to find out the purpose behind its initial opening we have to go back many years.
The Society of Friends or Quakers (as they are generally known) were never very strong numerically in Ireland, although in the early years of the nineteenth century they were well spread throughout the three provinces (virtually none in Connaught). The discipline within the Society at this period was very strict, so between disownments for lapses of the strict rules, and emigration, numbers were steadily being depleted. Economic conditions for many were very difficult, some families were very close to the poverty line, and of course no government aid whatsoever was available.
It was noticeable that a number of families whose membership among Friends had been terminated by disownment continued to attend meetings and had not linked up with any other Church. In some cases the children of such families were growing up almost illiterate, and their plight had touched the hearts of Friends throughout Ireland. The desirability of providing an adequate education for their children had long been an essential practice among Friends, and boarding schools, for both boys and girls, had been commenced at the following locations throughout Ireland – Lisburn 1774, Waterford 1798, and Mountmellick 1786. These were fee paying schools, and were for the children of members only. For a number of years the plight of the children of former members, who were debarred from entry to any of the established schools, because they were not members, and secondly because they would have been unable to pay the fees charged, had weighted heavily on Friends’ minds. A survey was carried out in 1830 as to the numbers involved in Ulster and it was reported that 219 families had been visited in which there were 531 children, and that 50 of these children were in immediate need of education and clothing and many were in want of the Holy Scriptures.
Following this report assistance was given to these families by the distribution of clothing and bibles to the children, and the payment of school fees to such local schools as they could be induced to attend. This was felt to be only a temporary measure until a more permanent solution had been found. A Committee was appointed from Friends throughout Ireland but the majority of whom were from Ulster, and an appeal was made for funds to found an institution to train children, "from this neglected class, in a religious life and conversation consistent with our Christian profession".
This Committee was given and added impetus to proceed, when a Friend from Limerick, Doctor John Unthank donated ?500 towards the objective. The response to the appeal from both Irish and English Friends was so encouraging that the Committee proceeded to purchase a house and farm of 24 acres at Brookfield, near Moira, County Down. Further buildings were added and a school was commenced in 1836. It was so organised that the boys were expected to work part-time on the farm, helping with the crops, providing vegetables for the school and for sale. The farm animals had also to be looked after. It was thought that by this means the school would be almost self supporting in food and at the same time the boys would have practical training in agriculture and farm management, learn about the rotation of crops and land improvement methods. The school was of course to be run on a co-educational basis. Girls would not be expected to work on th
New-York Cab Company Stable
The former New-York Cab Company Stable is a striking reminder of the time when horse-drawn carriages crowded Manhattan streets. Built in 1888-90, 318-330 Amsterdam Avenue was one of the earliest commercial stables on the Upper West Side and a fine example of a utilitarian structure erected in the Romanesque Revival style. It was designed by C. Abbott French, a New York architect who specialized in speculative residential and commercial work, particularly in this neighborhood and Harlem. The New-York Cab Company grew out of the livery firm Ryerson & Brown, founded by John Ryerson in the 1830s. Proposed in 1876 and incorporated in 1884, it sought to supply New York City with a “cheap and improved system of transit.” To accomplish this, the company adopted practices that are common in today’s taxicab industry.
Passengers were charged a “fixed and moderate” fare, drivers were identified with badges, and carriages were painted the conspicuous color yellow. The company had at least ten midtown offices, particularly in the Herald Square and Times Square entertainment districts. Investors in the business included many prestigious New Yorkers, many who were involved in horse-related social activities, including William Jay, Frederic Bronson, and William K. Vanderbilt. The New-York Cab Company leased the Amsterdam Avenue building from its completion in 1890 to 1909.
The gradual introduction of the automobile during the first decade of the twentieth century hurt business and beginning in 1910 the stable was leased to a succession of automotive tenants, including Sherman Square Motors and the Berkeley Garage. To accommodate these uses and retail tenants, the ground story of the Amsterdam Avenue facade was altered and various modifications were made to the interiors. Despite changes, the exterior of the garage is extremely well preserved, displaying an unusual scalloped cornice, intricate decorative brickwork, and much of the original fenestration.
DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS
Livery Stables and Transportation
Horse-drawn vehicles crowded the streets of American cities during the nineteenth century. These included omnibuses and street cars that followed a set route, and hackney coaches, carriages, and cabs that could be hired at specific locations. By the end of the century, there were an estimated 74,000 horses and 4,600 stables in New York City. Unlike cars, which can be stored outside, horses must be quartered overnight in stables, structures built specifically to house, feed, and care for the animals. Wealthy families often commissioned private stables, small but often architecturally distinctive structures to accommodate horses, carriages, and attendants (grooms and coachmen). Typically located away from residential blocks, picturesque rows can be found along McDougal Alley, West 18th Street, East 69th Street and East 73rd Street in Manhattan, as well as on Grace Court Alley and Hunt’s Lane in Brooklyn Heights and Verandah Place in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn (most of these stables are designated New York City Landmarks or are located in Historic Districts).
For commercial purposes, much larger stables were built: peddler stables, used by delivery firms and small businesses, and livery stables, where horses and carriages, sometimes with driver, could be leased by the hour. Commercial stables employed large staffs, including drivers, stable hands, washers, and hostlers. Most late nineteenth-century examples were multi-story structures, with separate levels for the vehicles and horses, as well as blacksmith shops and maintenance facilities. Typically, horses were kept on the lower level. Each stall “was provided with a rack for hay, a manger for the feed, and plenty of clean straw for bedding purposes.” There was also a sewer to carry off waste and a central area where the animals could be “currycombed, brushed, and washed down.”
After the Civil War, many livery stables were built in Manhattan. The city was growing rapidly and most were in new residential districts, neighborhoods populated by the middle and upper middle class who increasingly lived in apartment houses. Livery stables that have become designated New York City Landmarks include the still-functioning Claremont Stables (Frank A. Rooke, 1892), a Romanesque-Revival structure on West 89th Street, and 117 East 75th Street (George Martin Huss, 1887-88, converted to a garage in 1912), a five-story-structure located in the Upper East Side Historic District, close to Lexington Avenue. Also of note is 157 Hudson Street (part of the Tribeca North Historic District), a commercial stable erected in stages, between 1867 and 1902. Today, a small number of commercial stables continue to operate in each of the five boroughs, with the majority of horse-drawn carriages serving tourists in Central Park.
Development of the Upper West Side
Following the creation of Central Park (designed 1858), t
cheap cars for sale under 500
Finished Puzzle Size: 19.25 x 14.25